Monday, December 8, 2014

Fix My Eyes Upon You

My life has been kind of a whirlwind lately. Between writing final essays, staying up cramming for finals, going to work, prepping for Christmas, unexpected bumps in the road, and fulfilling commitments, I feel stretched pretty thin.. You could say I'm a little stressed. Maybe overwhelmed is a better word.

I've let my priorities get all jumbled up. I find myself juggling more and more the closer it gets to Christmas. And that's just ridiculous.

The best way I can say it is that I feel like Peter on the ocean. At first my focus was all on Jesus. And slowly, my stress, doubts, fears, worries, and obligations started to pile up. And I fixed my eyes and mind on that instead of Jesus. And just like that, I started sinking. I just kept sinking as more worries and things piled up in front of me. I was letting temporary issues have too much control over me and become an anchor tied to my feet while I was trying to stay afloat. Honestly, I really don't like the feeling I have and the person I am when my focus isn't centered on Christ.

So I'm adjusting my gaze. Because Jesus is greater. He is bigger than my insecurities, worries, stressors, doubts, anxieties, conflicts and confusions. He is the only thing that is eternal, and the thing that matters most. He is my life source. I'm drained without Him.And I don't want to be a drained out, stretched thin, shadow of who I am meant to be. In fact, I refuse to be that anymore. It's time to get  back to balance.

 It's so easy to focus on the buildup to Christmas that we forget to meditate on the miracle of Christ. So, enjoy the season, enjoy the festivities, enjoy the baking, shopping and wrapping. Enjoy family and friends and the joy the time of year brings. Sing those Christmas carols loud. Snuggle up with a blanket and some hot chocolate and watch some Christmas movies.  But don't forget to keep your eyes fixed on the King of Kings and the reason for the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment